Project Verum: The Foundations is now available! projectverum.org

Coccinati

[SUCCESS STORY] - 1 million last year. Aiming for 10 this Year.

Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd drop in here and make this post. I figured my story would give some inspiration to people that are new to this or feeling lost.

TL;DR - Been doing dropshipping for 3 years, Made well over a million USD, been through hell and back. Wouldn't change a thing.

I started my ecommerce journey back in 2017. First store was a phone accessory store that barely made it off the ground before I shut it down. In hind sight, that niche store would have been a great idea in today's market and I would have been killing it if I had stuck with it from then until now.

Anywho, I ended up buying a course a few months later which helped lay things out more clearly and got back into it. I started agin with a general store which all in all 70-80k before i shut it down and moved on to one product stores in mid 2018. Struggled most of the year and then in 2019 things really took a turn...

I lucked on a product that is still paying my bills today and allowed me to get office space and hire out a team so that I could really expand operations. Finished last year at just over 1 million in gross revenue. This year, my team and I are aiming for 10 million USD revenue clean. Nowhere near the goal right now but we just focus on constantly testing new products and stores every week. Still getting the hang of being a CEO, manager and operator which has really slowed me down this quarter.

I super glossed over most details just to keep it short. 

[I DON'T HAVE A COURSE AND DON'T DO MENTORSHIP SO PLEASE DO NOT ASK]

If there are any key lessons or words of wisdom I can give it would be to learn everything and anything in any and every form available. Read books about mindset first and foremost because I swear, nothing is more important than mindset. Write your goals down EVERY SINGLE DAY. And not no BS goals. Write real, intentional goals. and don't be afraid to think big. A good template for writing a goal is to start it off with the words "I will..." and end it off with a deadline like "this year" or "next month" or "by age 30".

Next is to be a sponge. Watch videos on marketing. Watch Verum's videos, Gabriel St. Germain, Kevin Zhang, There are so many. And for the longer ones like Verum's Facebook ads strategy, there is no way you will be able to absorb it all in one shot. I have probably watched his video 4 or 5 times by now and am going to watch it again after I'm done writing this post because I wanted to refresh a few things.

Watch videos and read books relating to advertising. Ogilvy On Advertising is a great book to start with and the author recommends a bunch of books in the footnotes of the pages so that will keep you going.

The biggest thing is to commit or quit. Commit to greatness and becoming a high achiever. I would imagine 90%+ of people quit within the first few months to a year. I have pitched dropshipping to everyone I know and only one person out of the 20 or so people that started is still doing it today after 6 months.  

Payment processor holdups and shutdowns, bank account shutdowns, cease and desist orders, lawsuit threats, dmca complaints and takedowns, business managers and ad accounts being disabled, supplier issues both on alibaba and aliexpress. liquidity issues, maxed out credit cards, working two jobs, ubering and flipping phones to pay bills and for ads, anxiety attacks, hair loss and high blood pressure at 27 are just some of the experiences I have had and I wouldn't change a thing. Its all part of the journey.

I wish you all achieve everything beyond your wildest dreams.

Feel free to ask me anything, I'll answer for as long as I can.

PS. Kudos to the Verum Ecom Team for setting up this forum. I'm so happy to see some real Ecommerce entrepeneurs and real business operators, unlike the one-hit-wonder gurus we are all too familiar with.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for sharing your story. And yes, it is true that success is actually ugly behind the scenes, people only see the good part and get motivated. The thing about success is mindset. You gotta get that grind on no matter what. And that's what makes entrepreneurs different. Continue to grind on that 10M goal, I believe you can achieve it in no time!

Awesome! And yes couldn't agree more about persevere even though there's multiple failures.

Wow! Thank you very much for this post really inspiring.

Does the person you pitched dropshipping to and was still doing it 6 months later dropshipping today?

11 hours ago, ceonline said:

Wow! Thank you very much for this post really inspiring.

Does the person you pitched dropshipping to and was still doing it 6 months later dropshipping today?

Yeah, its my brother-in-law. He's a real trooper. I knew he was gonna stick with it when he started. He's addicted to the process of it which is always a good sign

Any tips for a complete newb on starting shopify drop shipping? 

Looking to get started, but there is so much content out there am a bit confused where to start and how to test products. 

would you recommend niche stores or general stores? etc. 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! 

btw congrats bro! looking up to you!

On 3/11/2020 at 2:09 AM, Rcheung said:

Any tips for a complete newb on starting shopify drop shipping? 

Looking to get started, but there is so much content out there am a bit confused where to start and how to test products. 

would you recommend niche stores or general stores? etc. 

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! 

btw congrats bro! looking up to you!

Honestly, 

The easiest way to get around and navigate through all the information is to pick one trustworthy source and do everything they say. In this case, I would go with verum. their ads startegy is very sound and the fact that they're more practitioner than preacher makes me trust them more. Most ecom people are one-hit-wonder preachers. 

Anyways, I'll tell you how I look for products. I go on adspy and search there mainly. Also go through business insider's page. Peruse the IG and Fb feeds. Keep my ear to the ground for current trends in the news as far as problems people are having. One great idea that I can give you right now are faraday bags. They're supposed to prevent car relay theft. You can google what that is but its easy to sell them something for 30-60 dollars that costs you 2 dollars and protects the consumer from losing somehting that costs 30k+. super easy to target as well from the fb ads side. We're testing it right now and its looking very promising. 

We started selling face masks. scaled it up to 2k a day within 3 days of launching with 10x+ ROAS but fb shut us down lol so now we're looking at influencers, snap ads and native ads through taboola and outbrain.

As far as your question of general or niche. I would definitely do one of the following:

Pick a product and build a branded one-product store around it.

Build a branded niche store and test products within that niche.

If you are a beginner, the one-product store is easier to manage as a niche store requires a lot of small tweaks as far as presentation goes and making it professional. We used to do one-prodyct stores but the way we are testing products, we are moving to create overarching branded niche stores and testing products within that. we do custom development on our stores and developing a new store every week is very costly and time-consuming. Most products fall to within ~10 categories such as pets, home decor, fitness, beauty, kitchen gadgets, tech, accessories, apparel, car accessories and maybe a couple more that escape me right now.

Hope that helps man.

Definitely don't bother with the general store.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2020 at 2:09 AM, Rcheung said:

Also remember the golden rule: Everything works, but nothing works all the time.

There a million and one strategies, test them one by one as your budget allows it. Make sure you have at least 1000 in funds every month to play with otherwise it will be a very frusterating process. And don;t let that number demotivate you either. Get a job or a second job or a side-hustle. Million ways to make some extra cash in this day and age. All comes down to whether you think its worth it. If you ask me, it is hella worth it. I own nothing flashy but I have all the means to do so if I please. I choose to reinvest the money into my business and my community. That feeling is worth every trial and tribulation that comes and then some. 

Biggest thing is to just get started. Here's a hack that will save you the shopify plan fees. Go to partners.shopify.com and open up a partner account. It's free. You can then open up unlimited numbers of stores at no cost. You don't have to pay for the plan until you hit $50 orders or want to switch it to a paid plan to get an app that doesn;t support developer mode.

Good luck

• Like 2

On 3/10/2020 at 9:23 PM, Richard Yancey said:

Killing it man! Looking forward to see where you build things up to in 2020

Thanks man, appreciate everything you guys are doing for the ecommerce community at large. Needed real practitioners like you guys to take out the trash and show these fakes how its really done. Wish you greater and greater success throughout your journey.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Coccinati said:

You don't have to pay for the plan until you hit $50 orders or want to switch it to a paid plan to get an app that doesn;t support developer mode.

Sorry, typo: Until you get 50* orders so 50 people checking out and purchasing.

• Like 1

Thanks for the sharing mate! It's a good thing to put goals! I hope you will reach the 10M or even more 😉

On 3/26/2020 at 11:13 AM, JohnnyCache said:

Coccinati, which books you recommend for positive mind-set books and marketing books.

-Ashlee Vance's biography of Elon Musk

-The everything Store by Brad Stone

-The power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

-Buyology Truth and Lies About Why We Buy by Martin Lindstrom

-Essentialism by Greg McKeoww

-The Infinite Game by Simon Sinek

-Start With Why by Simon Sinek

-Think and Grow Rich 

-Ogilvy on Advertising

-Building Strong Brands By David Aaker

These are ones I read myself and gained tremendous insight. Remember, its a long long long game. Work through a book a month by reading just 30 minutes a day. The insight you will gain in a year's time is priceless. Supplement it with talks from conferences or short speeches from youtube. I would highly recommend the following channel for good content relating to internet marketing in general: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRK_TJzJBzwbOAy80vjtSwQ