Project Verum: The Foundations is now available! projectverum.org

Tendai

COPY-WRITING 101 - HOOK STORY OFFER (AD COPY)

WHAT IS COPY-WRITING?

Copywriting is commonly described as "the process of writing advertising promotional material in a way that sells better to potential clients". Copywriting is a critical digital marketing component to success because it’s the WORDS that sell!

Where do I incorporate copy-writing in e-commerce?

Copywriting techniques should be used in every single aspect of your business. Pages such as ;

·         Home Page - First Impression + Brand Awareness.

·         About Us - Inform the reader about your company & operations whilst building trust.

·         FAQ - Abolish any questions that are negatively influencing your reader to not purchase. (Risk Reversal)

·         Emails to your list (abandoned cart, newsletters, etc.) - OFFER. Get your previous & potential customers back to your website funnel.

·         Ad Creatives & Copy - Influence viewers to click on your ad & visit your website (the front door of your funnel).

·         Product Page - Compel potential customers to purchase by using specific language & emotion to describe the product' benefit & features.

As you can probably already see, copy is essential in every aspect of your online business. Thus, making it an important skill to develop throughout your entrepreneurial venture!

TIPS FOR CREATIVE AND EFFECTIVE COPY - (AD COPY)

(This guide will be relatively short and sweet! I'll create an in-depth  product page, and About Us page guide later on)

HOOK STORY OFFER

The secret to selling virtually anything online!

The Hook Story Offer writing techniques is formulated to:

1) Grab someone’s attention (HOOK)

2) Engage their attention and build an emotional connection & trust through story telling (STORY)

3) Offer a product or service so irresistible that the only option they have is to purchase! (OFFER)

KEEP IT SIMPLE, KEEP IT SHORT - THE [HOOK]

It's no secret that readers are both busy and lazy, i mean - we all are...right? 
7 Seconds. That's really all you have to grab someones attention before they decide to continue their endless scrolling on whatever social media platform you're trying to reach out to them from.  

This rather, minuscule, attention span is why you must make sure you're using the most EFFECTIVE copy-writing techniques to STOP them from scrolling.

A few examples of powerful & proven headline starters include, (but not limited to): 

'- Discover...

- Did You Know..

- Who Else Wants To.. 

- Learn How To.. 

- (Adjective> <Topic> That Will <Result>

- How To <Topic> In <Number> Easy Steps'

In E-Commerce, these headlines can be incorporated effectively in emails, product descriptions & advertising copy. 

Let me give you a quick example of how you can use effective ad-copy to allure potential clients to your store

In the examples below, "result" is also a powerful and appropriate form of a HOOK.

image.png.8887d64baa0a3fc2b874586dec8655f1.png

HiSmile uses effective copy in their advertisement to address the result, topic & offer of their business/brand in one easy to read and effective sentence

Result: Whiten / White Teeth
Topic: Teeth Whitening
Offer: 20% Off, Teeth Whitening in the comfort of your own home, Doorstep delivery. 

image.thumb.png.f1a3fb59d909f7e13ba494b3ddb28cd0.png

RESULT: Instant Dirt Removal (The use of the word 'instant' is extremely powerful because we as humans, LOVE instant gratification.)

TOPIC: High Pressure Washing

OFFER: 2-In-1 High Pressure Washer 2.0 (Even my simply mentioning the "2.0" customers are made to feel as though it's a newer, and upgraded version of the pressure washer they are used to seeing)

image.png.1a6364a1913eeadcb81d653a8b87dfbb.png

RESULT: Strategies to attract dream customers to your website/ and/or funnels.

TOPIC: Traffic. Getting people to visit your store/site. (Traffic Secrets Book)

OFFER: FREE hardcover copy of the book, PLUS 4 'INSANE' Bonuses. (Effective capitalization of important words, "FREE", "TRAFFIC SECRETS", "INSANE")

Ads that incorporate the effective use of Hook/Story/Offer principle far outperform those that do not. Simply because they address pain-points/problems, the result(s), and customer satisfaction (offer) in a way that removes any doubt in the readers mind, thus encouraging impulse buying to occur.  

If you'd like to improve on your copy-writing fast and effectively; you can do the following:

- Sign up to expert marketers' newsletters such as Russel Brunson, Dana Derricks, Grant Cardone, Jim Edwards, & Demian Farnworth.  Follow their social pages and be open to receiving marketing from them. Soak it all up and take note on the hook they use, stories they tell, and offers they put on the table. You'd be surprised at how quickly you can begin to pick this skill up. 

- Pay attention to ads on Facebook, Instagram, snap chat.. whatever platform. Even the TV! Any ad that peaks your interest or made you STOP scrolling, save it and figure out WHY that particular ad worked, WHY did it make you stop scrolling? WHAT was the hook? story? offer?  You need to subconsciously get into the habit of analyzing successful ad campaigns in order to improve

Lastly, the most important way to improve your copy-writing skills. It's quite obvious too. Practice. Aim to write every day, whether that be a post, comment, ad-copy..whatever it is, you need to continually practice. 

Experiment with your personal Facebook profile & friends if you'd like, create posts with the intention of engagement. Whether that be short stories or skits. You also have the resource known as the Verum Community Forum to practice. 

The Hook/Story/Offer framework is present in every aspect of communication. It is those that master this craft that excel in both their personal and professional aspects of life. 

RESOURCES:

https://wordcounter.net/ 

USE: Word Counter is used to analyse a successful competitors website to see what words they're using the most. These words can give you a clear indication of what they're focusing on during their 'pitch' to potential clients (keyword density -- Offer, story, hook, etc.), whilst also detailing the reading level of their potential customers (traffic). Simply select the entire web-page, copy, and paste the contents into word counter. 

EXAMPLE: https://trafficsecrets.com/ts-free-book

image.thumb.png.d35ecc4683724e98d91f500dd113987a.png

The top 5 words being used in the copy, clearly explain what the page is about and also the offer they're leveraging. (Traffic book secrets, get free) 

Short and simple trick that can definitely make you alot of money if incorporated properly!

What would you like me to write about next? Constructing the perfect product description? What about writing a hypnotic About Us page? 

Comment below with any questions, and/or comments. 

If you'd like me to review your ad copy, post a screenshot below! 🙂

Tendai

• Like 6

Thanks for the value drop ! 

This definitely valuable to helping drive more converting traffic to your store. 

9 minutes ago, Rcheung said:

Thanks for the value drop ! 

This definitely valuable to helping drive more converting traffic to your store. 

Glad it could be of some benefit!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Awesome! Thank you 😁

No worries! 🙂 

Such a value bomb! Copy writing is my weakest skill right now due to me being a non-native speaker, but I won't take that as an excuse. It's time to sharpen this.

Would be great if you can write about how to construct product description or FAQ effectively and efficiently. I always have to spend hours to come up with words and I would love to improve at this area.

Thanks again!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, baller said:

Such a value bomb! Copy writing is my weakest skill right now due to me being a non-native speaker, but I won't take that as an excuse. It's time to sharpen this.

Would be great if you can write about how to construct product description or FAQ effectively and efficiently. I always have to spend hours to come up with words and I would love to improve at this area.

Thanks again!

Hey @baller.

Love the determination. You'll definitely get there.

I'm not sure if you've heard of Gary C. Halbert, but, before he unfortunately passed, he had been recognized as being the highest paid copywriter in the world. He has an assortment of letters/newsletters he released - which are completely free to read; that are of immense value as well. 

You can learn more about him & his work here; 

https://medium.com/the-ascent/7-basic-things-i-learned-about-writing-from-copywriting-pro-gary-halbert-11e737b3d395

Study the way he constructs sentences in a way that keeps you captivated and eager to continue reading. 

Here's a link if you're interested 🙂
http://www.thegaryhalbertletter.com/Boron/BoronLetterCh1.htm

In regards to product page & FAQ; i'll work on those tomorrow. I'll also supply a template of FAQ's you and anyone else can copy/paste into their commerce stores. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, skrahamathulla said:

Detailed Post. Thank you so much mN

Not a problem! I hope it serves you well. 🙂 

• Like 1

Sign up to expert marketers' newsletters such as Russel Brunson, Dana Derricks, Grant Cardone, Jim Edwards, & Demian Farnworth.  Follow their social pages and be open to receiving marketing from them. Soak it all up and take note on the hook they use, stories they tell, and offers they put on the table. You'd be surprised at how quickly you can begin to pick this skill up. 

This...this right here is it. A super effective way of learning is to learn from the best. 

Thank for copywriting guide..could you also make copywriting guide for About Us page?